PAUL HOBSON 2861 IVY STREET SAN DIEGO, CA (619)236 7970 firstname.lastname@example.org
SELECTED PUBLIC ART PROJECTS BY CHRONOLOGY
- San Diego County Regional Airport Authority – 2016, “Untitled” – Light Sculpture Terminal 2 ceiling node
- San Diego Association of Governments – 2015, Hillary Drive Direct Access Ramp. Design Team: Estrada Land Planning
- City of Carlsbad, CA - 2014, swim and dive entry panels and mosaic pool towel bench and seat wall inlays for Alga Norte Community Park. Design Team: Wimmer Yamada and Caughey Landscape Architects, Architects Hanna Gabriel Wells. Award: 2014 Project of the Year Award, American Public Works Association San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter.
- City of Escondido, CA - 2012, terrazzo tables, trellis furniture and mosaic fountain seat wall for Maple Street Pedestrian Plaza. Design Team: Schmidt Design Group. Award: 2013 Project of the Year Award, American Public Works Association San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter.
- City of Palm Desert, CA - 2011, stained and sealed depictions of swim strokes and dive techniques are sandblasted into the pool decks at the Palm Desert Aquatics Center.
- Marriott San Diego Hotel and Marina - 2011, holographic finishes on aluminum, polycarbonate and programmable LED entry wall sculpture. Design Team: Martinez Cutri Architects, Randall Lamb Engineers.
- Sempra LNG, Ensenada, Mexico – 2009, glass tile mural for Casa Azul. Wimmer Yamada and Caughey, Landscape Architects and Sempra Energy.
- San Diego Association of Governments – 2009, Interstate 15 Bus Rapid Transit Stations Design Team Member: KTU+A Landscape Architects, Manuel Oncina, Architects. Awards: 2009 Project of the Year Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, San Diego Section, 2010 Project of the Year Award, American Public Works Association, San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter.
- City of Encinitas, CA – Courtyard Gate – 2008, Encinitas Community Library, City of Encinitas Commission for the Arts. Painted galvanized steel.
- City of National City, CA – “Portals In Time” – 2007, National City Boulevard Streetscape and Fountain Plaza Promenade Improvement Project. Design Team: Project Design Consultants.
- City of Ventura, CA - Avenue Water Treatment Plant – 2007, Main gate and service gate. Design Team: Kennedy Jenks Consultants. Award: 2008 Top Job Award, National Ornamental and Miscellaneous Metals Association
- City of San Diego, CA, - El Cajon Boulevard Transit Plaza - 2006, El Cajon Boulevard at Interstate 15, San Diego, CA. Team: KTU+A Landscape Architects.
- City of San Diego, CA, - “Fire Hose Frieze”- Fire Station Number 31 - 2005, Camino Rico and College Avenue, San Diego, CA. Design Team: Platt/Whitelaw Architects. Awards: American Society of Civil Engineers, 2005 Award of Merit, 2006 Honor Award, American Public Works Association, San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter
- City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department, - 2004, All Right Storage Building; 6900 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys, CA. Design Team: Graham Downes, Architect
- City of San Diego Water Department, 2004, Canyonside Community Park – Design Team: Pountney Consulting Group
- Price Charities San Diego Revitalization Corporation - 2003, City Heights Urban Village; Design Team: Martinez Cutri Architects and Planners, E-Scape Design, Landscape Architects
- City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department -2003, Metrolink grade separation, Van Nuys, CA. Design Team: Department of Transportation, Bureau of Engineering
- City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department - 2002, Alex Baum Bike Bridge. Los Feliz Boulevard at the Los Angeles River, Los Angeles, CA. Design Team: Bureau of Engineering
- San Diego Metropolitan Wastewater Department - 2001, South Bay Water Reclamation Plant, San Diego, CA. Design Team: Parsons Engineering Science, Platt/Whitelaw Architects and Garbini and Garbini Landscape Architects
- City of Imperial Beach - 2001, Highway median glass mosaic wave sculpture. Design Team: Wimmer Yamada and Caughey Landscape Architects
- San Diego Power and Cooling Company - 2000, Kettner Avenue and Broadway, downtown San Diego, CA. Private development
- City of San Diego Park and Recreation Department - 1999, Carmel Valley Community Park, San Diego, CA. Design Team: KTU+A Landscape Architects and Platt/Whitelaw Architects. Award: California Park and Recreation Society, 1999 Award for Excellence for Facility Design in a Community
- City of Coronado - 1999, Silver Strand Beautification Project; State Highway 75, Coronado, CA. Design Team: Schmidt Design Group, Inc., Tierra Environmental Services Awards: 1999 Honor Award - American Society of Landscape Architects, San Diego Chapter. 2000 Orchid Award for Landscape Architecture / Environmental Solutions
- City of Carlsbad Arts Office - 1998, Leo Carrillo Ranch/Park Master Plan. Design Team: KTU+A Landscape Architects, Milford Wayne Donaldson, Architect. Awards: California Preservation Foundation Design Award for Leo Carrillo Ranch Master Plan, 1998. American Society of Landscape Architects, San Diego Chapter, Merit Award, 1999
- City of San Diego Water Utilities Department - 1997, Pump Station 77. Design Team: Spurlock Porier Landscape Architects and Planners and Manuel Oncina, Architect Awards: American Society of Civil Engineers, Outreach Award, 1998, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, Liquid Art Award for “Viewage”, Pump Station 77, City of San Diego, Water/Utilities Department, 2001.
- San Diego Metropolitan Transit Development Board - 1996, Old Town Transit Station, San Diego, CA. Design Team: KTU+A Landscape Architects. Award: San Diego design community’s Orchids and Onions Awards, Orchid Award for Fine Art, 1997
- Children’s Museum of San Diego - 1994, "Incunabula" Toddler’s Exhibit Award: Orchid Award for Interiors for the Children’s Museum of San Diego, 1994
- City of San Diego Waste Management Department – 1991, Miramar Landfill Master Plan. Design Team: Martinez Cutri Architects, Delorenzo Assoc., Burkett & Wong
- City of San Diego Waste Management Department – 1991, Materials Recovery Facility, Miramar Lanfill. Design Team: Wimmer Yamada Landscape Architects.
- City of Newport Beach, CA, 1988, Inspiration Point, Beach Access, Newport Beach, CA. Design Team: Cunningham Design Landscape Architects, Helen and Newton Harrison, Artists and Marcello Petrocelli, Artist
PUBLIC ART PROJECTS IN PROGRESS
- Consultant – Denver Design District
SELECTED TO DEVELOP DESIGN PROPOSALS (PARTIAL LIST)
TECHNICAL CONSULTANT for BAUHAUS ARTIST herbert bayer 1985 - ONGOING
- Purple Line Art-in-Transit Program – 2016, Finalist, Silver Spring Maryland Library
- Palm Beach County Art in Public Places Program – 2016, Finalist, Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Evidence and Impound Facility Perimeter Barrier
- Business Improvement District, Grand Junction, CO – 2015, Finalist, Horizon Drive Corridor Improvements Project Bridge Railing Enhancement
- City of Escondido, CA - 2014, Finalist, Grape Day Park Project, design Team: Estrada Land Planning, Nasland Engineering
- Town of Cary, NC -2013, Finalist, Fire Station #2, 2013, Park, Recreation and Cultural Recourses Department
- City of La Mesa, CA – 2011, Finalist, Centennial Legacy Project
- Port of San Diego - 2011 – Finalist, America’s Cup Harbor Parking Facility Public Art Project
- Town of Cary, NC - 2009, Finalist, Walker Street Extension, Park, Recreation and Cultural Recourses Department
- San Diego County Regional Airport Authority – 2009, Finalist, Performing Arts Venue, Design Team: Jean Isaacs, Choreographer, Steve Baker, Musician.
- City of San Diego Engineering and Capital Projects Department – 2009, Finalist, 25th Street Renaissance Project, Design Team: Estrada Land Planning, Nasland Engineering.
- San Diego County Regional Airport Authority – 2009, Finalist, Commuter Terminal Elevator Lobby
- City of Los Angeles Bridge Improvement Program – 2008, Finalist, San Fernando Road Bike Path Over Tujunga Wash
- City of Madison, WI – 2008, Finalist, Goodman Pool Public Art Project
- City of Madison, WI – 2008, Finalist, Goodman Pool Public Art Project
- City of Scottsdale, AZ – 2007, Finalist, Pima Road and Pinnacle Peak Improvement Project, Scottsdale Cultural Council
- City of Compton, CA – Finalist, Del Amo Metro Station, 2007 – Finalist, Metrolink Blue Line
I continue to provide curatorial consultation for Bauhaus Master hebert bayer’s estate and posthumous installations of his artwork.
- Featured in the production of “A Sense of Place: Santa Barbara’s Public Art Legacy”, June 2015
- Click Here to view video
- Featured in “geometry of an illusionist” the anthology paintings of herbert bayer 1976 – 1983 exhibition catalogue, Aspen Institute, Aspen, CO, Summer 2009
- Honored Guest, Americans For the Arts Convention, 2009 - Earthwork Tour, herbert bayer’s Mill Creek Canyon Earthwork, City of Kent, WA
- Historical assistance to Bernard Jazzar, Curator, “metamorphosis – transformation in herbert bayer’s imagery”, 1928 – 1940.
- Historical assistance to University of Washington project, Channeling herbert bayer, 2007 – 2008.
- Ongoing technical assistance to the herbert bayer Archive, Denver Art Museum, Denver, CO.
- Consultant/Technical Coordinator including museum and gallery exhibitions, painting and sculpture restoration for the herbert bayer archive, 1985 – 1988.
- “Chromatic Gate”, 1987, 25’ high painted aluminum sculpture, Santa Barbara, CA. Community presentations, technical coordination, supervision of fabrication and installation of a Bayer sculpture.
- Curatorial assistance and execution of a ten foot sculpture for the exhibition of "herbert bayer: A Decade in Santa Barbara" at the Santa Barbara Contemporary Arts Forum, 1986.
- herbert bayer, the complete work, 1984, curatorial assistance on a book by Arthur A. Cohen, published by MIT Press.
STUDIO ASSISTANT to BAUHAUS MASTER herbert bayer 1976 to 1985
I performed a full range of studio management tasks for artist herbert bayer including: execution of paintings, sculpture, murals, tapestries, tile design, graphic design and environmental artwork. I also performed many public art related duties while serving as artistic supervisor for numerous Bayer projects including:
- "Articulated Wall", 1985, 85' high concrete sculpture, Denver, CO. Execution of drawings and models, fabrication and installation oversight.
- “Maler, Designer, Architekt”, 1985, technical advisor in the production of a film on herbert bayer for German Public Television.
- “Mill Creek Canyon Earthworks”, 1982, five acre park and flood control, Kent, WA. Execution of drawings and models, fabrication and installation oversight.
- “Walk in Space Painting”, 1981, concrete sculpture faced with glazed brick; Arco Executive Training Center, Montecito, CA.
- “Wall Relief”, 1979, painted aluminum sculpture, Arco Building, Dallas, Tx
- “Gate In Four Parts”, 1979, painted aluminum gate sculpture, Arco, Dallas, TX
- Glass mosaic fountain and ceramic tile atria floors, 1978, Arco Chemical, Newtown Square, PA
- Organ Fountain”, 1977, brushed stainless steel sculpture, Lenz Opera House, Linz, Austria. Execution of drawings and models, fabrication and installation oversight